Wednesday, August 31, 2005

My new job

It's been a while since I last posted. I spent last week in a flurry of house preparation for the peanut and I started my new job on Monday. Both have conspired to keep me away from the keyboard and, hence, out of the blogosphere. For a bit there, I was considering stopping this thing altogether in a witty little post called "The Demise of the Public Trust". I would have somehow tied together the re-election of George Bush (the obvious reason for the demise of the public trust) and the federal government's decision to hire me on (the ironic and potentially humorous reason for the demise of the public trust).

Anyway, my wife of all people suggested that I don't quit on the blog just yet. As she noted, I'm going to need something to do when it's 3:30 in the morning and a colic-y peanut won't sleep. Hmmmm... I don't like the sound of that. In any case, the PT is here to stay for a while longer. I hope the long absence hasn't scared anyone off.

Incidentally, my new job is in the enforcement branch of our nation's environmental agency. I'm going to draw an sharp line between work and blog and you may, as a result, see somewhat fewer environmental themes on here for a while. I need to feel my way around and do a little reading to make sure there's no ethical or legal impediments to blogging and federal employment. I mean, it's not like I do this anonymously or anything. Any Joe Blow could see my name on a federal document, type "Everett Volk" into google and get taken straight to this site. I can't say off-hand that that sounds like a good thing to me. Oh well, we'll see. If I get dinged, I get dinged and I'll stop blogging then.
|