Monday, March 14, 2005

Taking one for the team...

A group of our friends have signed up to take swing dancing lessons on Monday evenings. The precipitating factor in this decision was the need for two of them to learn how to dance for their wedding. A number of other folks piled on the bandwagon and, voile, they have a dancing class. My wife thought this sounded "really fun!" and signed us up.

Personally, I can't think of many things that would be less fun than spending 3 hours on a Monday night, after a long day at work, making a complete fool of myself in front of 8 friends. I'd rather have a root canal. I'd rather listen to Tom Delay give a speech. I'd rather be locked in a 5'x5' tin box for three hours while a troupe of rhesus monkeys bang out the Macarena on the box with rubber mallets. Honestly, it doesn't sound "really fun!"

But, I love my wife. And even if it doesn't sound "really fun!", stumbling around a dance floor for three hours a week for the next five weeks isn't that big a deal. Thus, tonight, I'm going to take one for the team and go to my first swing dancing lesson. Who knows, maybe I'll be really good and then learn how to two step and show up all the boys down at Remingtons....
|