Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My decrepit corpus

So yesterday, after nearly a 2 year hiatus, I played soccer. It was, as always, great fun. My team, Mom's, is full of really nice people and good soccer players to boot. The evening was beautiful, we all played really well, and Mom's ended up winning. All in all, it was an excellent time. Now, fast forward to today.

My back hurts where I tweaked it, my legs are sore, and I've got a giant bruise on my arm from falling (I think). As I am constantly reminded these days, I'm no longer 22 and I can no longer play with impunity. My decrepit corpus isn't necessarily failing me, but it ain't the well-oiled machine it once was either. Discovering these things gives me new respect for the folks on my team who are in their late 30s and early 40s and still playing full-tilt soccer. It's very impressive and I hope that 6 years from now, I'm still playing half as well as they do.
|