Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Right of conscience my ass.

Pharmicists are nothing but glorified retailers with a little bit of science background. I'll say it again, being a pharmacist ain't so special. If a doctor writes a valid prescription, than some moralizing pharmacist should not have the right, whether it's a right of conscience or otherwise, to deny a patient that prescription. It's as simple as that. You want to be a pharmacist, you fill the goddamn prescriptions. Why the fuck else did you get into the biz, if you don't want to help people's health and well-being? You want to be a moralizing prick, go to divinity school, not pharmacy school.

Goddamn stinking fucking right-wingers. This isthe article the piqued my ire. I refuse to recognize a "right of conscience" when the health, safety, or well-being of a person is at stake. So maybe someone had unprotected sex, or the condom broke, or maybe they're just a prostitute. I could give a flying fuck about why they need or want the morning after pill. Fact is, the pill is legal and it should be given.

You want a similar example: me. I won't apply for a job at a giant law firm like Baker Botts, and I won't apply for public defender jobs. Why? Because I abhor the thought of defending big polluting industries, and I have no desire to defend murders and drug dealers who can't afford counsel. I don't apply for those sorts of job because I recognize that I would be faced with situations that I find to be morally and personally compromising. Nonetheless, I recognize that both sorts of parties must have access to legal counsel. Thus, other folks of a different mien will fill those jobs. Is that any different from the pharmacists who is opposed to birth control. No. And thus, they should just stay out of the business if they can't stomach their duties.
|