Wednesday, April 06, 2005

We're doomed.

Large Fella has a post on a topic near and dear to my heart: the eventual extinction of mankind. Really. As a perpetual optimist about all things small, and a perpetual pessimist about all things large, I find that I don't fit neatly into his LB and RBF categories. I'm more of a, "Fuck It, Lets Do Our Best" (FILB?) kind of guy. Thus, though I suspect all our efforts are for naught and humans are doomed to a long, lingering painful extinction, I still think it's worth trying to save this glorious Earth. Try and explain that; I can't.

Anyway, that's one of the reasons I ride my bike to work as often as I can. 18 miles per day of closed-carbon cycle transportation. An equivalent quantity (or more) of whatever CO2 and CH4 I might release on a ride was likely captured and converted to oxygen by the vegetable matter I eat every day. Thus, a net zero or even negative carbon load added to the atmosphere. Imagine if lots and lots of folks did the same while eating low-meat, high vegetable, locally-grown diets. Amazing!

But then I wake up and realize that this ain't gonna happen. Too hard, too inconvenient, too contrary to the barrage of materialist propaganda we are barraged wtih every day. Oh well. Atleast I can enjoy the ride.

UPDATE:

I just realized I used barrage twice. Stupido! I should have said, "barrage we are bombarded with".... :)
|