Friday, July 01, 2005

Mark Souder and his gimp

Once again, House Republicans have shown their utter disregard for the democratic process and taken steps to vitiate the duly-enacted, popularly-supported firearms restrictions that are currently included in the D.C. Code. Once again, Mark Souder from Indiana, has sponsored a bill that ignores the wishes of the vast majority of DC residents and imposes his insular, conservative worldview on our city. Unlike last year, though, Souder has stepped back from repealing the city's gun laws entirely. Now he just wants to prevent the city from spending any money enforcing its gun restrictions. The effect? Basically the same.

Now, as you all know, I'm a big fan of guns. I'd love to have one of these in my closet, one of these in my living room, one of these in my bedside stand, and one of these by the bedroom door. That said, I'm an even bigger fan of democracy and representative government. If the people of D.C. resoundingly pass a law to prevent me from owning such guns, I can accept that. They've clearly stated their desire to live in a relatively gun-free environment and if I really thought living under those conditions were such a huge burden, I could move to Virginia and begin rebuilding my arsenal.

Clearly, Mr. Souder disagrees. Or, even if he doesn't disagree, we're just so easy to mess with that he can't help himself. Like so many in his party, I'm sure he views DC as his own little, quadrapalegic fuck toy. Whenever he feels a little tense, he just comes down into the basement, unstraps us from the wheelchair and jam his conservative ideas straight up our collective ass. Not only can he get his rocks off, but we can't fight back and it doesn't cost him anything at home. Do the fine people of Indiana give a flying fuck about DC? I doubt it. Chances are, they can't even find us on the map...

It pisses me off to no end to see ignoramuses like Souder messing with this city. If he were truly concerned with our safety, he'd be addressing issues like street crime, poverty, child care costs, fair wages, and other such topics that directly affect the people of DC. Solve those problems and most of the crime in DC would likely disappear. As it is, letting me carry a locked and loaded Gold Tiger Stripe Desert Eagle .50 calibre semi-auto around my house isn't going to make me any safer, and it sure as hell isn't going to improve the quality of life in the District.
|