Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The grace and finesse of an aging walrus

That would be me, swing dancing. Yet, despite all my bitching here yesterday, I had a good time! We drove up to Takoma Park around 7:30 with friends to a placed called Victor Dance in a local arts building. There were about 20 people, most of whom I knew. The instructor gave the lovely wife and I a brief lesson in the basic swing step and two turns, and then set us to dancing with other partners. I learned A LOT about maintaining tension between myself and my partner (physical tension), and how important that tension is to being a good lead. The end result, I spent an hour stumbling around and learning how much I don't know about how to dance well. We're going to practice 30 minutes a night this week and see what happens next. I'll report back then.
|