Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The downside of blogging

The downside of blogging is this: you develop a web presence. If, like me, you choose to write your blog openly, then suddenly your web presence is linked with your name. Thus, if someone goes to Google and types in "Everett Volk", the first link they get is your (my) blogger profile. The second link is to one of my postings.

Now, this doesn't really bother me. I'm optimistic that people won't judge me solely on the basis of my blog postings. Moreover, I'm hopeful that even if they do, they won't necessarily come away with a bad impression. They might conclude that I'm an environmentalist, that I'm a democrat, and that I distrust right-wing extremists, but I don't they would conclude that I'm an irrational idealogue or total weirdo. I guess I could be wrong, though...

In any case, I've noticed an uptick in the number of people linking to my website after googling my name. If you're reading this after googling my name, especially if you're an employer considering offering me a high-paying position with fantastic benefits and cushy office with a view:

I'm not an idealogue or a weirdo.

:)
|