Monday, April 11, 2005

Not so mundane anymore.

Most of my readers know by now that my lovely wife is pregnant with our first child. She's in her 18th week, so has only started to show and then only a tiny bit. As such, my grasp of the pregnancy is more academic than anything. However, yesterday we were hosting a party for some friends of ours who are leaving the country to go work in Peru. We spent the morning cleaning house, cooking, and getting ready for the 4-hour fete. People came, there was much merrymaking, and then everyone left. After the last person had left, the lovely wife sat down on the couch.

"Guess what," she said.

"What?" I responded.

"I felt the peanut kicking."

"What!"

"Really! For the last half an hour, it felt like somebody was poking me in the belly, except on the inside."

That was it. With those few words, the pregnancy was no longer an abstraction. I still can't feel the peanut kick, and I still can't hardly tell my wife is pregnant, but boy howdy I suddenly feel like a father (and a nervous, clueless tyro).

Anyway, pregnancy and childbirth happen all the time, but it's amazing how much less mundane it is when it's happening to you.
|